My Nordic Adventure 2012: The planning begins

Yesterday I bought plane tickets for my next travel adventure: 22 days in Scandinavia and Iceland.

What I went through to settle on this itinerary is just silly. I have for a long time been interested in seeing this part of Europe, and I first started thinking about doing it next spring a few months ago. But then I started having other vacation ideas. First the Balkans started luring me. Then I was almost settled on Spain and Morocco. But in the end, this is the trip that won out, and now that I've booked my travel, I'm very excited about my itinerary.

Icelandair, Flight 680, Departure: Sun, May 13 4:30 PM Seattle/Tacoma, WA, US(SEA)
Arrival: Mon, May 14 6:45 AM Keflavik International, IS(KEF)

Icelandair, Flight 204, Departure: Mon, May 14 7:45 AM Keflavik International, IS(KEF)
Arrival: Mon, May 14 12:45 PM Copenhagen, DK(CPH)

Icelandair, Flight 343, Departure: Wed, May 30 3:30 PM Helsinki, FI(HEL)
Arrival: Wed, May 30 3:55 PM Keflavik International, IS(KEF)

Icelandair, Flight 681, Departure: Mon, Jun 04 5:00 PM Keflavik International, IS(KEF)
Arrival: Mon, Jun 04 5:45 PM Seattle/Tacoma, WA, US(SEA)

I'm starting to think about the places I'll visit in between and have put together a tentative travel schedule. It's still really early, but here's what I'm thinking right now, based on Rick Steves's favorite Scandinavian itinerary by train:

Monday, 5/14 Arrive Copenhagen; 3 nights Copenhagen
Thursday, 5/17 Train and ferry to Æro; 2 nights Æro
Saturday, 5/19 Ferry and train to Kalmar; 2 nights Kalmar
Monday, 5/21 Train to Stockholm; 3 nights Stockholm
Thursday, 5/24 Ferry to Turku; 2 nights Turku
Saturday, 5/26 Train to Helsinki; 4 nights Helsinki, including a day trip to Tallinn, Estonia
Wednesday, 5/30 Fly to Reykjavik; 5 nights Iceland (rental car for the entire time)
Monday, 6/4 Fly to Seattle