There are still two hours before I leave for the airport, but I'm all packed and ready to go.
The big pile has been squeezed into my Rick Steves convertible carry-on and my souvenir bag from being a Jeopardy! contestant. Combined weight is 28 pounds, which is more than I'd like to be carrying, but except for my Surface, which I will use for my daily blogging, or a shirt or two that won't really have a significant effect on the weight, it's all stuff I am sure I will need.
My boss asked me to write down what I am taking, so here it is (including what I'm wearing on the plane):
- Three pairs of long pants (Ex Officio, lightweight for travel)
- Nine shirts (four t-shirts, one short-sleeve polo shirt, one long-sleeve Ex Officio collared shirt, two long-sleeve pullovers, one zip-up long-sleeve knit shirt)
- One pair of shorts
- A swimsuit
- Five pairs Ex Officio underwear and two Ex Officio undershirts
- Six pairs of socks
- One pair of good walking shoes
- One pair of light canvas sneakers
- One pair of flip-flops
- My CPAP
- A hooded Marmot rain jacket
- Inflatable neck pillow (thanks Jeff!), eyemask, and earplugs
- Phone (with Kindle app version of Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia guidebook and GPS with pre-downloaded maps)
- One book (The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andrić)
- All necessary chargers
- Four plug adapters
- Printed maps and itinerary
- International driving permit
- Money belt
- Glasses and sunglasses
- May issue of the Bridge Bulletin (to read in the airport and then discard)
- Notebook and pen
- Empty water bottle
I've been asked by a lot of people where all the places I'm going are, so here's a map of all the destinations. Please note that none of these places are anywhere near Ukraine, which isn't even on the map. This map should also show why I'm going from Croatia to Slovenia back to Croatia, then to Bosnia and then back to Croatia yet again.
E: Plitvice Lakes National Park
Happily, it looks like we'll have good weather for the first part of the trip.
|Ljubljana weather forecast (chilly nights, but perfect days)|
|Istria weather forecast (just a little drizzle maybe next Sunday)|
See you there!