Places to stay

I am neither looking to do my trip on the cheap nor interested in (or able to) travel in the lap of luxury.  I've sought reasonably priced accommodations, but I like staying in places with charm and character and potentially friendly hosts, and I'm willing to spend a little extra for that.  I've avoided business-class and tourist-class hotels in favor of B&Bs, inns, homestays, and boutique hotels.

Now that I've almost finished booking my lodging, I did some calculation to see how I've done.  Excluding Helsinki, which I haven't booked yet, and my one overnight on the ferry, I've got 16 nights.  My average cost per night for lodging (based on today's exchange rates) is $86.  (In some instances that includes breakfast.)  I'm really thrilled that I was able to keep the cost of lodging that low, and I don't feel like I've sacrificed on quality or comfort.  Of course, that remains to be seen...