Mercoledì in Vernazza

I can't begin to say what a thrill it was when the train came out of the tunnel into Riomaggiore, the first stop in the Cinque Terre, and I got my first glimpse of the sea. I arrived here in Vernazza about 12:30 this morning and I wish I'd spent my entire vacation here. It's like a seaside resort and charming, ancient village all rolled into one. Many friendly people (I just had a chat with a nice lady from Venezuela, and met a shopkeeper who remembered me from the train this morning because I asked her which train to take. And I could just sit by the water all day long and watch the kids playing in the surf. Plenty of eye-candy too -- ;)


(You many have noticed I finally found the apostrophe.)

Tomorrow I'll buy a Cinque Terre day card and spend the day hiking and/or training between the five towns. And Venerdì I think I'll do much what I am doing today -- just hanging around town watching people and enjoying the cool breezes off the Ligurian Sea.

I hate that my vacation is approaching it's conclusion, but I'm also looking forward to returning to Seattle.

Maybe one more post before then.